Thursday, September 25, 2008
Health
Today I taught on abstinence and have a great activity the kids loved. Have each one roll one die six times. Have them record each roll on a piece of paper. Then I start with the number 5. Anyone who rolls a 5 must stand. These people represent sexually transmitted diseases. Have those who rolled a 5 the first time then those who rolled multiple fives. Then we talk a little about the disease and the impact it can have on relationships. Then I ask for the number 6. Anyone with a six stands. These represent pregancies. I ask for who rolled a six the first time and for multiple sixes. We then talk about teen pregnancies and how that can affect someone. Lastly I ask those who didn't roll a 5 or 6. (Hopefully I have at least one) I tell them I was proud of them and was willing to give them 10 bonus points for it, but they could earn 5 more if they rolled again and didn't get a 6 or a 5. If they did - all points are gone. The kids usually pressure them into going for it. I usually try to get them to roll. Then they roll a 5 or 6 and all is lost. (I keep upping the anti until all is lost) We then talk about the pressures out there and then the dangers. They loved this activity and it is a great ice breaker to start taking about the subject.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Cherie, you have such great ideas for your health lessons. I'm sure the students enjoy coming to your class and value your dedication. It can be difficult to come up with ideas for ice breakers into such topics. I have shared some of your ideas with my student teacher and she was excited about trying the ideas. Keep us updated on more!! Do you teach physical education also?
That really sounds like a great idea, and it is something that is interactive for the students to participate in. It really is a great way for the students to realize the dangers of STDs
Cherie, that's awesome. I don't teach health at my school and sometimes I wish I did. With teen pregnancies becoming more and more prevalent today, not to mention STDs, the need for new and different ways to teach this ridiculously important topic is imperative. Keep up the good work, it'll definitely pay off. The kids are lucky to have you!!
Post a Comment