Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Soccer practice
I have started coaching under 14 boys. I have always working with girls until a few years ago when they all moved up to the high school. Coaching boys is definitely different than coaching girls. I have been having a lot of fun with them but it has taken me longer to develop a "trust" with them than with the girls. I don't know if it is because I am female and they take male coaches more seriously or if it just the group of kids. After 6 weeks of practices, they are getting the light bulb moment of "I get it" A week ago we lost to a team 5-4. During that next week, we worked on adjustments because we had to play the same team again the following week. We ended up winning 5-3. It was awesome and the boys were so proud of themselves!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulations. From what I have read men actually learn more from women than they do from men. However at that age I feel that kids get full of themselves and it takes more time for men to develop trust that coach knows best especially with boys. I swam for many different coaches when I was 14 and I responded differently to each. Best of luck
I am helping to coach a 7th & 8th grade boy’s soccer team, and I really believe the boys react well to having a male coach. This is my first time coaching so I did not know what to expect. So far, the boys respond to the coach's instructions and make any necessary changes in their habits in order to help the team. The boys and girls practice on the same field (each using one half of the field) and from what I have noticed, the girls are not as serious during practices, and seem less mature, even though they have a female coach.
Post a Comment